Empowering ECEs to Understand and Work with Kids on the Autism Spectrum Part 3
This multi session workshop will provide ECEs with a deep understanding of the autism spectrum disorder. It will empower them with knowledge about different aspects of ASD, as well as
This multi session workshop will provide ECEs with a deep understanding of the autism spectrum disorder. It will empower them with knowledge about different aspects of ASD, as well as how to support kids on the spectrum for optimal growth and learning.
The workshop includes a total of three sessions. The first two sessions are two hours long and are offered online. A third session will be 3 hours long and offered in-person. This allows one to put in practice what was learned in previous sessions via interactive hands-on activities.
Over the three sessions you will learn about:
- perplexing behaviours associated with ASD — exploring root causes and how to best respond
- recognizing signs of stress
- accommodating for an early learning environment that is as “least challenging” as possible
- engaging with children who seem to be in their own world
- how to use play to support learning
- theory about the developmental steps of communication
- some playful activities that can be used individually or in a group to support regulation and development
- how to set teaching goals and optimize teaching strategies for optimal learning
- video reviews
This workshop will be packed with hands-on experiences, live interactive chats and videos, therefore will require full participation! Bring your smiles.
This workshop will take place over three sessions. You must attend all three sessions to receive PD credit.
October 13th – Online via Microsoft Teams – 6:30 to 8:30 pm
October 18th – Online via Microsoft Teams – 6:30 to 8:30 pm
October 22nd – In person at NSCC Kingstec – 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Facilitator: Nancy Ceulemans, Heather Cukierski
Deadline to register: September 29, 2022
This workshop will be facilitated online and in person at NSCC Kingstec Campus – 236 Belcher St. Kentville, NS
Parts of this workshop will be facilitated online via Microsoft Teams
- PC (Desktop or laptop)
- Access to email (we’ll send you a link to the session)
- Registered participants will receive detailed instructions and be invited to a practice session to test your technology prior to the first session.
It is the participants’ responsibility to make sure their equipment, including headphones, will work with the session. As per our policy, refunds will not be issued less than two weeks before the workshop.
- Credit card or VISA Debit payment over the phone. (Staff from Kingstec Student Services will contact you.)
- Prepayment via eBill payment through your electronic banking. Student ID# required. Contact us to confirm your NSCC student ID.
- Cheque mailed to — Student Accounts – NSCC, Kingstec Campus, 236 Belcher Street, Kentville, NS, B4N 0A6
- Not permitted: cash or walk-in payments.
*please keep our workshop guidelines in mind* https://www.nscc.ca/ecdsc/professional-development/kingstec-guidelines.asp
Registration Opens August 10
To Register: http://bit.ly/kingstecreg
(Saturday) 9:00 am - 12:00 pm(GMT+00:00)
236 Belcher St, Kentville, NS B4N 0A6, Canada